Tuesday, June 30, 2020

T Stands for Summer Solstice at Stonehenge - Part 2 Sunrise

A week or so ago, I learned that The English Heritage (they take care of historic sites in England) would host a live streaming of sunset and sunrise on the Summer solstice at Stonehenge via their Facebook page. Stonehenge is a neolithic monument and has been closed to the public during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Visiting Stonehenge is on my bucket list, and this is probably the closest I'll come to a visit. Sunrise was at 4:50 AM  local time making it 11:50 PM Eastern Daylight Savings Time, my time zone.

The feed went live around 11 PM my time. 2. June 2020


There was anticipation



As I had my late evening cup of tea around 8:30 PM, I wasn't particularly thirsty. I had a cup of ice water, just in case.


The English Heritage counted approximately 100,000 views of the live feed for the Solstice Sunset and less than half that number for the Solstice Sunrise. I guess people didn't like getting up so early or stay up so late.


It was so quiet and


the realization


that it was so foggy and


it was raining. 🤬



Color


me


disappointed.


The sun rose unseen from Stonehenge


and another day began. Better luck next year. I wonder how many sunrises have the stones witnessed?



This is the Summer Solstice Sunrise from 21. June 2019. Much more awe inspiring and impressive.


I made a garden kite to mark the occasion.


To learn more about Stonehenge and to take a virtual tour, you can visit The English Heritage Stonehenge site.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

35 comments:

  1. It's still great to see, even if it was overcast. I like the garden kite you made for it. (And I wonder who that lone person was, standing in the rain. They must have evaded the covid-19 Lock Down police.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lone person was part of the security crew or the camera crew. There were a few people that could be seen walking around.

      Delete
  2. Magical pictures from one of my fave places. Nice garden kite, too. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the misty skies make Stonehenge look more mysterious

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, it is a magical place to visit.
    You were probably better seeing the sunrise from the comfort of your own home.
    Hapy T day wishes
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing the crowds in the video last year, you're correct

      Delete
  4. I think it's much more spiritual without all the people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially the only sounds were of the wind and birds

      Delete
  5. CJ, have you heard the latest Stonehenge news? Use this in yur search box: NPR Immense Neolithic Ring Discovered Near Stonehenge.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a magical time to visit, if not in person than live TV.
    Happy Tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for the technology and The English Heritage for providing the opportunity

      Delete
  7. What a disappointment! Oh well, next year there will be another opportunity. It's great that English Heritage do this.
    Wishing you a very happy T-Day,
    Hugs (These ones are allowed, but oh I so crave real hugs),
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that was disappointing but one never knows about mother nature-the video was awesome.
    do they do these for the other soltice?
    Happy T hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know this was the first live event. Stonehenge had been closed because of the pandemic and is scheduled to open again to the public on July 1.

      Delete
    2. ok that makes sense then-perhaps they will do them live again that would be fun

      Delete
  9. Rain has not spoiled many times we've watched the sunset on the Summer Solstice. I'd be disappointed, to say the least, if I'd been at Stonehenge in person and it rained! What a great idea they had to make it a virtual event. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was warm and dry in my own cozy chair and not shivering at the site on a cold, rainy morning.

      Delete
  10. disappointing yet what an amazing experience it would be to be there no matter the weather-at least fro me:) Thanks for sharing and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got sucked into the hype and didn't stop to think about typical English weather

      Delete
  11. Stonehenge looks so atmospheric with the rain and mist, I'm not really surprised to see either of them, we are well known for our rain here in England ...lol 😀. I'm loving your Stonehenge garden flag too - perfect! Sending you Happy T Day wishes and wishing you well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun sketching the stones from the live feed at sunset

      Delete
  12. ahh too bad about the fog - ...and i think it's a great idea to do yard kites. I might start doing something like that - maybe with birds or...
    I enjoyed seeing you waiting ...drinks ..etc...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad for the rain. But it is fun to check it out. Does Stonehenge also work for the winter solstice? You would have that to check out if so. Hope it was a super T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stonehenge works for the Solstices and the Equinoxes as the stone circle is laid to follow the ecliptic.

      Delete
  14. It was beautiful, even if it was NOT what I was expecting. The video was not what I expected, either. For some reason, I though they would show the sun through the rocks, but it was mostly overhead. Still, it was fun to see. Thanks for sharing the video and the stills with us as well as your water for T this Tuesday, CJ. BTW, I LOVED what you sent Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stonehenge was open to the public at that time. There were so many people there, I think the only way they could photograph the sunrise was by drone.

      Delete
  15. When ever I see photos of Stonehenge the word magic comes to me. This post truly fits the magical element for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, the weather was very disappointing for Summer Solstice - especially considering the way the weather was either side of it! Next year.....! Belated T Day Wishes! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, better luck time. Maybe The English Heritage will live stream the Winter Solstice

      Delete