Thursday, December 10, 2020

An Unexpected Surprise


 Last week when I went to the post office to mail a package and to check the post office box, I found an unexpected surprise in the box.

You're saying, but surprises are supposed to be unexpected. That's why they are a surprise. Yes and no. When I was a kid, Ma wrapped and hid our Christmas gifts. The Brother knew where to look so while Ma worked and before she got home, he would take me on a hunting expedition to find the gifts. He showed me how to very carefully, and patiently remove the tape from one end of the package and to gently remove the wrapping. We'd look at our presents with glee. Then slowly and carefully put the gift back in its wrapping. On Christmas morning finding all the packages under the tree, we'd open up everything and act duly surprised. Ma was never the wiser.

The USPS offers a free service called informed delivery. Each morning, I get an email showing me the mail that will be coming to the house and the mail that will be arriving in the post office box. Usually the only things in the PO Box are ads and circulars for the person who owned the box 40 years before me. So to find a package in the box when I didn't expect one was a real surprise.

Jan Sokoloff Harness, from Creative Instigations, sent me a copy of her new book Look Up. I don't remember how long I've been reading Jan's blog. Her blog is about finding the creative in you. I find Jan's writing to be very uplifting filled with stories and anecdotes from her muse, Lillian (Jan's mom)

The book is about finding beauty and happiness through the murk of a chaotic world. It's also a lovely tribute to Lillian. If you haven't been to Creative Instigations, pop on over and poke around.

Jan, thank you so much for the book. I'm enjoying it immensely. I cry. I laugh. Thank you for introducing me to Lillian through your blog and the pages of your delightful book. Lillian was a remarkable woman and so are you.

21 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful surprise indeed. Enjoy! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother Robert knew what everyone's gifts would be. He threatened to tell me, but didn't.
    I will check out Creative Instigations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet your mom DID know tho, and just never let on ☺☺☺

    I have informed delivery as well; and I'll bet that was a great surprise to see the notice on that date !!!

    enjoy the book :) ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not a clue. She would have let us have it if she had found out and she never did.

      Delete
  4. How cool is that-to get the book that is. And my mother still gives me grief for shaking packages and trying to read through the paper. It would kill her if I ever got that sneaky. Smile. But I loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, I was a model child. The Brother is 6 years older than I am so the sneakiness was on him

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely amazing surprise. I have never had the desire to look beforehand for my gifts. I'm one with lots of patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am patient, too, but you lose patience when you have an older brother leading you into things

      Delete
  6. what a nice surprise. I will check her blog out. And loved your story about your snooping. And to think your mom didn't even know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma didn't know because she worked. What your mama don't know, your mama don't mind. Also to set the record straight. I didn't do the snooping. That idea was the Brother's. I just got dragged along as insurance. I couldn't tattle on him because I was involved, too. 😺

      Delete
  7. I love your Christmas story -- and I'm so glad I could sneak a little surprise into your mailbox! I greatly admire your creativity, and have truly enjoyed connecting via our blogs. Thank you for this lovely post and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the story about you and your brother! LOL! What a great surprise with the book! How special!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete