Tuesday, December 1, 2020

T Stands for Cherry Pie - 2nd Slice

 For Thanksgiving, I thought I would bake a cherry pie. Nothing fancy. Just a cherry pie with a lattice crust, and then a Facebook post about fancy pie crusts crossed my feed. One of them caught my eye.


It looked easy enough. Roll out the top crust, cut out some hearts, use the cut outs as the pie edge. I dug out my little, heart cookie cutter, Mise en place, and prepared the crust.

While I was busy, that's when they arrived. My mother-in-law had warned me about them as they had attached themselves to Himself. Gremlins. Sneaky, mischievous gremlins. They move things, hide them. You spend hours and hours looking for the thing you need. You know where you left it, but it's gone. You roam the house looking and looking. Checking everywhere.

That's what happened when it was time to cut out the little hearts. The heart cookie cutter was gone. It wasn't on the table next to the flour cannister where I had left it. I looked high and low. I crawled on the floor and looked under the table and chairs, under the cabinets. Nothing. I retraced my steps, and I could hear them. Tittering with glee. Himself helped me look for the cookie cutter. "My mother warned you about them." The gremlins snickered.

"Not funny, guys!", I shouted. "You bring the cookie cutter back right now! If I catch you, I will hang you to the wall by your 🤬, little ears!" The threat had worked in the past. I went on searching for the cookie cutter, but no luck. Just gales of laughter.

The gremlins would eventually return the missing item. One just never knew when. It could be an hour later, a day, or even months later.

I had the heart cutter that was a little bit bigger. Not quite what was pictured, but it would have to do. I cut out the hearts, and then as I transferred the top crust, the pie crust broke. If 2020 was a pie, it would have a broken pie crust. What a mess. I fixed it as best I could and had to use the cutouts to cover the broken part of the crust.

I was glad we weren't having company for the holiday. My crew really wouldn't care what the pie looked like as long as it tasted good.



 Not exactly a Blue Ribbon winner, but it did taste very good.

A day later while sweeping up the kitchen, a metal piiiiing as I swept under the corner, lazy Susan cabinet. In the middle of the kitchen floor, was the little, heart cookie cutter.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s blog to find out what the rest of the T gang is up to. If you want to play, include a beverage or beverage container in your post. Don’t forget to link your blog from Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s page.

41 comments:

  1. Your pie is gorgeous CJ. I bet it tasted wonderful too. Who cares if the hearts are a bit large. It is made with love and that's what matters. Baking is supposed to be a pleasurable event, not a competition. I think those house gremlins have been in my house too. I have a trivet I needed and can't find. What a gremlin needs with a trivet, I don't know. Have a wonderful T day. And happy December too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gremlins don't need the items they take. They just love the aggravation they cause as you frantically search for the item.

      Delete
  2. I’ve heard of wedding rings that burrowed into furniture and were lost and gone for decades, only to show up when someone bought the furniture. Or never. Once some roofers found a 50-year-old wallet under our shingles. I think they tried to find the owner. Gremlins!

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, I enjoyed your gremlin story very much-hugs and your pie looks beautiful! I haven't made a cherry pie in a long time and Larry loves cherry. Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great, funny story. And those Gremlins sure got you: of course you found it the next day, while sweeping. Ugh. However, the pie using the bigger cookie cutter looks great. I can't even tell where the pie crust broke. But you are also right about your comment about 2020. Ugh. What a year, and we still have 1 month to go. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halfway through the dark, and we can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. And it won't be the train light!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, those naughty gremlins. They seem to be active all over the world. Your pie looks gorgeous anyway, and I bet it tasted wonderful. Now I have thoughts of cheery pie planted firmly in my head.... I want some, I need some, and I haven't got any! Enjoy your day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a teaspoon of almond extract to the canned cherry pie filling. The pie was soooo good!

      Delete
  6. That's a story that can't even be made up. It's too funny and honest. I laughed and laughed. You have NO idea how many times this has happened to me. NOT while cooking, but while making art. It's frustrating and I can empathize. Truthfully, your pie looks great. And it looks like it went well with your tea, too. Thanks for sharing this tale of woe (and mirth) along with your pie and tea for T this Tuesday. I'd eat it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pie tasted so much better than it looked. That's all that matters.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I jus love this! I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. And of course, you always find it after you no longer need it.
    Your pie looks very pretty and delicious! I too have found that crust breaks when trying to transfer it after using cutters on it. Haven't figured out the trick yet.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parts that broke were rolled out just a little too thin. I had rolled the crust between sheets of parchment paper. I think I would have been better off just flipping the parchment paper over the pie and peeling the paper off the crust instead of lifting the crust off the paper. Next time!

      Delete
  8. Isn't that just the icing on the cake that is 2020! :-/ Looks yummy, so it all turned out well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious!! And look at all you went through to make it look special. That's love. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a yummy pie! The heart design pastry top looks amazing and I love cherries so I'll bring the ice-cream if you share a piece of that pie with me ...lol 😀. Glad you found the cutter too, those gremlins are so naughty they often hide things in my craftroom too 😉. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x
    p.s. sorry I haven't been visiting lately, last week I was suffering with bad migraines and couldn't cope with the brightness of the laptop screen so no blogging for me - boo hoo! I'm still not a hundred percent so I probably won't be able to catch up on all the posts I missed, hope that's ok. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to bake another pie. No worries about missing posts, just feel better.

      Delete
  11. We call them "ploglies" here, and they never bring things back lol Your pie looks like a winner to me :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. not those trouble makers again!!! they are always hiding stuff here, then later I find it where I first looked! I'll have cherry pie even if for some reason it looked crazy which yours doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddening because you look in the place where you know you put the item, and you look there 99 times, but find the item in that place on the 100th try!

      Delete
  13. I think it is a blue ribbon winner for sure. You did a beautiful job on that pie in spite of the gremlins. They come to my house too. LOL Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The points the pie lost on presentation were made up in the taste.

      Delete
  14. Clear Made With Love And Adversity - Well Done - Happy December

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that makes it taste all the sweeter.

      Delete
  15. looks like an excellent pie to me CJ; and it IS all about the taste... gremlins like ta sneak about at places of employ as well, I'm STILL looking for a file that I had IN MY HAND at one point... from 5 years ago !! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😺 Guess that file wasn't that important 😉

      Delete
  16. Oh, I so hear you about misplaced things and those darn gremlins! Arrrgh! Your pie turned out very nice and I bet it was tasty. Funny enough, that I saw an FB post about decorated pie crusts as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the pie crust story hadn't invaded my feed, I wouldn't have done anything out of the ordinary 😺

      Delete
  17. Wow - that pie is a work of art! Oh, that's not the one you made. You did a good save though.

    We don't speak of gremlins, but sometimes we suspect we live in a Bermuda-type triangle. Things disappear and are never seen again.

    Happy T-day! Stay safe and well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gremlins bring things back. Sometimes, it just takes a long time before you see the lost item again

      Delete
  18. That Pie is gorgeous. And I know it was tasty. I love it just the way you designed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. well the pie both of them - ...look delicious. We also have gremlins - all the time taking stuff, returning some stuff but taking other things with them when they leave. Sometimes I find things months down the road when they play with me and make me think i'm going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving one crazy is the part that gremlins like the best 😺

      Delete
  20. Those bad Gremlins! LOL!
    I think your pie looks amazing! I know it tasted amazing too! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That pie!
    So delicious!

    Those gremlins are so naughty, and you never quite know when they may be around!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete