Thursday, February 22, 2024

Throwback Thursday

 

Last week I mentioned being deliriously happy that I found pastina in the grocery store. I was asked what it is.

Pastina is tiny, microscopic, star-shaped pasta. While people think this tiny pasta is made for soup, it really isn't. Tubetini or Orzo are the pastas used for soup.

While other babies start solid food with rice cereal, Italian babies are fed pastina, the food of Life. Pastina plain. Later on pastina with a little butter, with a little butter and Parmesan cheese, sometimes for added protein pastina with a beaten egg. The heat of the pastina cooks the egg.

It's Italian comfort food at it's best. Unless you have to clean up a million sticky, little, stars from a toddler's hands, face, clothes, high chair, table, then it's a pain in the butt to clean up.

6 comments:

  1. I never thought of feeding babies pasta. But why not? It's a good choice. And you still could use it in soup even if its not traditional. grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also 'comfort food' when you're under the weather. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a baby but I'm sure I would enjoy pASTINA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you would. Like a hug in a bowl from nonna

      Delete