Saturday, April 15, 2023

Fun Facts About the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 
The schooner Ernestina; photo by Wildstar Beaumont on Flickr (noncommercial use permitted with attribution / share alike).

Massachusetts has its own state vessel. In 1994. the schooner, Ernestina (originally named Effie M. Morrissey) became the official state vessel. in 1990, she was named a Historic Landmark by the Department of the Interior. The schooner is owned by the state of Massachusetts and is part of the New Bedford Whaling National Park.

From the National Park Service: "Built in 1894, the schooner ERNESTINA is the oldest surviving Grand Banks fishing schooner; the only surviving 19th century Gloucester-built fishing schooner; one of two remaining examples of the Fredonia-style schooners (the other being LETTIE G. HOWARD, also a National Historic Landmark), the most famous American fishing vessel type; the only offshore example of that type; and one of two sailing Arctic exploration vessels left afloat in the United States (the other being BOWDOIN, also a National Historic Landmark). Today, ERNESTINA regularly sails the New England coast on educational cruises."

Source cited: https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/massachusetts/state-vessel-aircraft-landmark/ernistina

This is the last fun fact about the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Next week will feature Happy Little Time Wasters.

12 comments:

  1. Oh boy! Looking forward to time wasters! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (I really am!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last fun fact! Oh no! I've really enjoy these CJ and they have made me think of my own states Fun Facts..:) I'm looking forward to your Happy Little Time Wasters... lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want our state to be Massachusetts when we grow up. But we may never grow up :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want your state to be like Massachusetts, too

      Delete
  4. Very cool. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a holiday weekend so it will be a long one

      Delete
  5. The last of the Commonwealth fun facts. So sorry this will come to an end, BUT I suspect school children will find something else to be recognized in the near future. I wish I had time for time wasters. I don't even have time to clean my house I'm so busy right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Little Time Wasters come in when you need or want to procrastinate

      Delete
  6. I wonder what other things are official state items in MA. Hope you enjoyed the day.

    ReplyDelete