Sunday, April 23, 2023

How Does Your Garden Grow?


I was hoping these leaves were the Fern Leaf Bleeding Heart seeds, Anne from Anne's Creative Cornucopia gave me. Sadly, they are not. Identified as White Wood Asters, the weeds that grow on the perimeter of the woods.


We have a new visitor to the garden. It's a hawk. I can't quite tell its species though it is not a Red-Tail Hawk. I think it might be a Cooper's Hawk. He's been hanging out on a low branch of the oak tree. Sometimes, he drops to the ground and pecks. I think he's snacking on grubs or bugs. He occasionally flies off and returns late afternoon to hang out on his branch. He's been given the name Cooper Oakensitter.

The first of the dandelions


The vinca is in bloom.


A shy violet. The grass is greening up.


The forsythia has popped out.


And just like that leaves on the trees.


And Himself's new toy, a collapsible rain barrel.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Finally! Though I'd rather skip Spring and go right into Summer

      Delete
  2. It's quite chilly here for the time of year, and today is another rainy day. The hummingbird feeder is out. The flower seeds are sprouting. The redbud has begun leafing out. I'm inside with the heat on lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too early to turn the heat off as night time temps are still dropping into the upper 30s. Rain today with some heavy downpours. Rain for most of this week.

      Delete
  3. Your leaves are definitely ahead of mine, but isn't it exciting to have the world greening up? Spring...and then summer. It's coming. I hope you stayed dry in all this rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the rain we got today, the backyard suddenly turned Kelly Green

      Delete
  4. Wow on that collapsible rain barrel. I want a rain barrel so I can save the water for dyeing fabrics. I see you said your temps are in the upper 30s at night. Last night (Sunday), it was 28F. We were colder than you! Thankfully I have two motorboat fur babies to keep me warm, as well as a little electric heater.

    I honestly think your garden is further along than mine, although my tulips have now died for the year.

    I am having trouble. I keep getting "failed to publish."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you get a rain barrel, make sure you check your state regulations. In some states, it's illegal to have a rain barrel.

      Delete
  5. I love it when Spring arrives and everything starts to bloom.
    Our garden got very wet again today but sunshine tomorrow :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were drenched on Sunday. Off and on rain showers all this week.

      Delete