Monday, September 23, 2019

Electric Eraser


I've had a few people ask me what is an electric eraser? Pictured above is an old model, no longer made.

Besides erasing pencil lines, the electric eraser can also be used to add highlights. At the workshop on Enders Island, Valerie had used an electric eraser to remove mistakes when writing with ink. That's what I wanted to use the electric eraser for. She deftly was able to remove unwanted ink marks without marring the paper.

The old method of removing ink from paper involved carefully scraping the ink with an X-acto knife or safety razor. You had to scrape very slowly or you'd end up with a crater in your paper. Ask me how I know this.

The above eraser is what I scored from the White Elephant table at our Fall guild meeting. The white eraser didn't remove ink, and I'm wondering if the pink erasers will leave a pink mark on the paper. So I'll have to do a little hunting to see if I can find a source for electric erasers that will remove ink and will fit the electric eraser I have.



I found this video of a demonstration of several newer electric eraser models to give you an idea of what works and what to look for if you are interested in this tool.

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a very handy gadget. Always good to have new toys! Have a great week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting-I can see this would be a good tool for you to have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does a better job than using the X-acto blade

      Delete
  3. Aren't advances in technology great? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep looking at them but....I'm still using the 'crumple up the paper and throw it away' method....lol. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I remember back in the day having an eraser that had one end for erasing pencil and the other for ink. It looked like this: https://www.officequarters.com/product.php/prod_id/2015420.html I don't remember how well that worked, but it certainly wouldn't hold a candle to this electric one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those erasers for taking care of ballpoint pen ink. I don’t think it would work on the sumi ink I use

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure it worked that well for ballpoint pens. Certainly not good enough for art.

      Delete
  6. It sounds fascinating that this tools can remove ink marks. Do they have to be wet for it to work? I have never heard of this and am always amazed what art tools exist that I just don't know anything about. Happy fall! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The ink needs to be thoroughly dry in order to remove it

      Delete
  7. What a great find from a white elephant table. Now you will be on the hunt for one that does EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a great find if I find erasers to work with this tool. Otherwise, it’s still a white elephant 🐘

      Delete
    2. Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you had both white and pink erasers for it. My bad.

      Delete
    3. I do. But the erasers will only remove soft marks like pencil or charcoal. Not ink

      Delete
  8. I'd not heard of an electric eraser before today!
    I learned something new, thank you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting CJ! Thanks for sharing! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete