Monday, September 2, 2019

Second on the Second

Robin over at Pink House Studio had a recent post about the old days and using a dictionary or encyclopedia to look up information.

Her post made me nostalgic so I chose this post
From 10. September 2012 as my Second on the Second.

When I pulled the tome off the shelf, I should have listened to the small voice reminding me not to bring any more sh stuff home.  With absorbing some of my parents' things from the old homestead, my poor, little dollhouse is starting to look like a tribe of hoarders lives here. I should have listened. No one would want a dictionary that was 50 years old. Especially a dictionary with a broken cover poorly held together with duct tape. This book was well loved and well used. I spent hours in the attic (before my dad turned the room into a home office) lying on the floor and turning the pages. I'd randomly read a page from here and a page from there. So many words. So many cool things like how to properly address a letter to a duke.

I carried the book downstairs. I should have put it in a trash bag, but I couldn't. I just couldn't bear to let it go. The duct tape holding the binding together had dried out. I carefully pulled the old tape away. Before I knew it, I had a roll of duct tape and was carefully measuring, cutting, and applying new pieces of tape. The old book will have a new job.  It's big and heavy. It will make a perfect weight to flatten paper. That's what I'll tell Himself if he asks.

Are there any items you're so attached to you can't bear to part with?

It's your turn to play. From Elizabeth: Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Join hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth to see what else is being served up the Second Time Around.

22 comments:

  1. Fun post! I have shelves full of old lexicons, dictionaries, study books, old Bibles, prayer books and magazines and newspapers, and although I need space, I can't throw them out. They are part of my life. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I understand how you felt about that dictionary. And I chuckled at your ready made reason for having it, in case Himself asked. I used to flip to random pages in the dictionary, to find new words. But at this point, it's been a long time since I last looked inside one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dictionary is so obsolete as so many new words have been added to the English language. The only thing my dictionary is good for now is as a paper weight.

      Delete
  3. I have my thesaurus from 9th grade that I still have and use. Nobody uses paper research books any more, do they? This is a touching post CJ. Happy September. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! sounds like me for sure. I do have a huge heavy dictionary still and I use it to help press my handmade papers (I have it wrapped up in a couple wal mart plastic bags to keep it dry)
    Happy second on the 2nd hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dictionary is on Ma's hope chest in the living room

      Delete
  5. Oh CJ, I can relate. I have all my statistics, math, and human factors books from my Ph.D. classes. For some reason, I can't get rid of them, although I already know what is in them. Once in awhile I'll take one down, dust it off and reread a few chapters. Not the same as a dictionary where words were learned, but a similar feeling, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing this rare look back at your memories from childhood and adulthood with us as your second look on the 2nd. It's a lovely post and a first look for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about old books. Glad you enjoyed this post. 😊

      Delete
  6. It's sacrilege to throw away books! My parents gave books human attributes and now I can't toss any of them. I can pass them on, donate them or re-use them but I can't put them in the trash....it's like throwing away my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you don't have qualms about altering books? One of my friends worked in the library at college, she hates when I alter books. To her, that's a sacrilege, too. 😺

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post. Several of my books are held together with tape. I wonder if there's a book restorer out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restoration would cost 🤑 Unless it's a first edition, it wouldn't be worth it. But, I bet you could find a video on YouTube about re-binding a book

      Delete
  8. When we moved 3 years ago, the new-never-read books managed to go into a box. the old books went on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful post … books are just so special.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think books are quite difficult to part with - I am happy to pass on paperbacks to friends when I have read them but reference books, I find, are the hardest to part with...although some do now get used in my journals ! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the emotional attachment is because books become beloved friends

      Delete
  11. Boy, have times changed!
    I think books are so special!!

    ReplyDelete