Monday, September 9, 2019

Do Over



I decided to re-do the House Blessing I did while I was on Enders Island. I was a little unhappy with the spacing from the piece I did in class.

To be honest, I don't think the error I made would have been obvious, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I wanted to put this piece in the WAM Faculty Art Show in October. Since it's supposed to advertise my class, I felt it needed to be more or less perfect. Second time is a charm, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

I took the piece to Gaston Art and Frame. I wasn't sure what I wanted done. I sometimes have a hard time envisioning what things will look like. Originally, I thought an outer matte as close to the paper in color, and an inner matte in gold. I also thought I'd like the frame that was used to frame the recent commission I did. But that frame and matte colors just didn't look as nice.

None of the gold mattes they had came close to the bright yellow 23 karat gold used to gild the piece. C who helped me out suggested using a fillet. I think that's what she called it. It's the decorative gold metallic piece between the two mattes.  C also suggested using a gold, wooden frame.

She had picked out a some gold frames. One was very wide and ornate. No. Another was plain and not as wide, but still wide, which bothered me. C laughed and said I was definitely from New England. I told her I liked a narrow frame because I live in a dollhouse. She laughed and said exactly. (A lot of older New England homes are small or have small rooms)

With the frame picked out, she added the inner, blue matte, and she had me. It also happened that Gaston Art is celebrating their 15th year anniversary so they were having a 15% off sale. Yes!

14 comments:

  1. Great choice of frame, it will be wonderful when it#s finished. Have a lovely week, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get what you are feeling. It is like when people ask me to make a card for them or I had to photograph my friends wedding as a favor for her this past summer. It is always OK in the end but it does make you step it up a bit. Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the first piece I did was fine for a workshop. I learned a lot, and that was the purpose of the workshop, but to put it on view, it just needs to be a little more.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! And the right framing does make a difference, so I'm glad you found the perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL! I know what you mean about a 'mistake' sticking out like a sore thumb! LOL No one else sees what we see....The frame/matte choices are perfect for your lovely house blessing! ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing CJ!! Well done on everything! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, frames can make such a difference :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete