Saturday, January 22, 2022

Saturday Morning at the Library


When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Once and Future King by T. H. White. From the cover, "This classic novel about the court of King Arthur that was the basis for the famous motion picture Camelot

If you haven't read this book, you may be able to find it at your library or favorite bookstore. 

18 comments:

  1. This sounds good, have a great day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my reading list for awhile now. The truth is my list is long. I need to go back and rethink some books on it. Stay warm. This has been a cold month for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have had my fill of King Arthur....but I TOTALLY Enjoyed Lovely Bones! Thanks for recommending it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. There was also a movie done starring Mark Wahlberg

      Delete
  4. I always enjoyed the King Arthur tales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I read it first in high school iirc and have read it several times since. The kids liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids didn't care to read. I blame their school for the forced book reports.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous book 😀. Happy weekend! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Haven't Read This One - Hopefully You're Enjoying Your Weekend - How Was Himself's Wrist These Days - Big Hugs

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must be the only person on the planet who has not read King Arthur or the offshoots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, it's time to give the stories a try, and to embrace your British roots

      Delete
  9. I haven't read this book, I think I will add it to my list ... which is getting longer and longer!

    I went out for a lovely walk earlier today and came back, sat down with a nice cuppa and opened the current book I'm reading ... bliss :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete