Monday, January 24, 2022

Neurographic Drawing



I stumbled across Neurographic Drawing. It's a way to reduce stress using art. Developed by Pavel Piskarev, a psychologist. Neurographica is way of consciously tapping into your subconscious. The technique was meant to help one with solving personal problems, but it can also be a pure art form.

You begin by drawing or tracing shapes on your paper. With a permanent marker like a Pigma pen or a Sharpie, you make lines through the objects. I started with circles and ovals. Where lines intersect, you round off corners and color in these areas with your permanent marker.


You can use any kind of media to color in the shapes. I used Tombow Dual Brush Markers. You can use as few or as many colors as you choose. The process is very meditative. I watched Neurographic Drawing Art Lesson 


I'm not finished as the process is not meant to be done quickly. I'm trying to thicken some lines to add depth and shadow. I don't think I'll color in all the shapes. As suggested in the video, this is a visual representation of neurons and synapses. 

Have you heard of Neurographic Drawing?

20 comments:

  1. I haven't heard or neurographic drawing. I do keep a sketchbook, pencil case and a set of markers next to the couch and draw patterns when I watch TV some nights. Pattern drawing is very relaxing and you learn a lot from it too, like how patterns work and how colors work. It may not have such an interesting name though. Smile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making patterns whatever you call them is fun and relaxing.

      Delete
  2. Mary Anne (https://scrappystickyinkymess.wordpress.com/2022/01/15/a-great-way-to-complete-an-art-journal-page-using-neurographic-art-techniques/ and https://scrappystickyinkymess.wordpress.com/2022/01/20/coloured-pencil-neurographic-art/) has been drawing them for awhile and I like how she colors hers in. The links are for black in the above). I think they are probably closer to what the video suggests. This one https://scrappystickyinkymess.wordpress.com/2022/01/13/my-first-neurographic-art-finished/ is in color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done something similar not knowing what it was. I've opened the video in a new tab and will watch it after my blog visits. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this video because the teacher doesn't make a holy grail out of the process to make an hour long video

      Delete
  4. What a coincidence! I JUST watched a video about this yesterday! (Not sure I'm going to try it but still....great minds! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have heard of it but never tried it. Your page is great. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. At the beginning of each school year, my students did a "swirl" of lines, around the paper. Then they colored the places they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CJ, I have not, not even back in me "yooth" when I took every art class offered...the drawing is cool tho...reminds me in a way of the mandala coloring books out there

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of Neurographic Drawing, but very interesting.

    I think many forms of art can help with mental wellbeing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of this, but it looks great. (I added a link to this post to my How To tab on my blog, so I can find it again.) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of it before. But it looks very relaxing, it reminds me of Zentangle. :)
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete