Saturday, January 29, 2022

We Had Us A Week

 

Calli had her ultrasound Friday morning. All they could see in the area was inflammation, but no surgery was required. They said the inflammation could be from one of two scenarios. The first, she ate something she shouldn't have and either it worked its way out or is working its way out. (my guess). The second guess, she had parasites or worms. I really don't believe this one. She was treated for worms/parasites as part of the adoption process. Where would she pick them up from? She doesn't go outside and now the ground is covered so we couldn't even bring in stuff on our shoes. 

Calli was sent home with anti-nausea medication, pain killer, and parasite med. They said the parasite meds wouldn't hurt her if she didn't have parasites. The pain killer and parasite stuff are in syringes to be squirted in the corner of her mouth. That will be a fun method to try. Not.

I asked if she had parasites, would it be contagious and would Quill have them, too. The doctor said it would be a good idea to treat Quill, too. She said I had to get the meds from my vet (though she used the term primary care)! After spending a bajillion dollars at the veterinary hospital, I was surprised she wouldn't even give me samples which I'm sure drug reps leave! 

The vet the kitties see is not too far from Tufts. Before going to pick up Calli, we started driving there as they close early on Fri. I called from the car. Asked them about meds for Quill. They were stunned that Tufts didn't give me anything for him. They had the meds and instructions when we rolled in minutes later.

We were home almost 2 hours, and the veterinary hospital was supposed to email me a discharge report along with written instructions about the meds. I don't know when her last dose of pain med was. The anti-nausea is once a day and they already gave that to her, so I know to start that med today. Now, Saturday morning and still no report.

Anyway, she's home a little worse for wear. Poor baby, they shaved her forearm almost to the bone and it looks very sore with needle marks from IVs and blood tests. They shaved her belly for the ultrasound and her belly hair had just grown back from the spay surgery.  It was a relief we could being her home
before the big storm. I'm a little nervous, because if something does happen, we won't be able to get to the vet until Monday. Though if the snow totals keep going up, maybe not until Tuesday. I hope the weather dudes are just hyping this storm.

The news channel Himself listens to in the car was comparing this storm with the Blizzard of '78. That storm shut Massachusetts down for an entire week! The only difference is this storm happening on a weekend, there won't be thousands of people stranded on the highway. In 1978 the storm happened on a weekday afternoon.. Businesses let their workers go home mid-afternoon so the highways were jammed. The snow fell at a fast rate and the plows couldn't get through because the roads were blocked with cars stuck in snow. 

But we're home. Safe and sound for now. I baked brownies and the rest of the storm prep is done, though I might fill up a couple of more buckets as I only did a few. I have a meal kit dinner I'll make for Saturday. It's a macaroni and ground beef thing, so worse case, it can be eaten cold if we lose electricity.

Thank you all for your concern about Calli.

21 comments:

  1. Yes, you guys had quite a week indeed! Glad Calli is back with you and I am sure Quill missed her, too.

    We have had about an inch so far of snow which isn't much (not complaining!). I am getting ready to drive into work today from 12 to 6. I hope that the weather people are exaggerating and that you DON'T get hit! Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I got to "brownies" I was glad to see a bright spot in your week. I'm so sorry about the kitty issues. Such a stressful situation for the kitties and for you :(

    Our local news is covering your storm. I hope it's not as bad as they're predicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's not as bad as they are predicting. So far we are just fine. Lights, heat, snacks. Cuddly kitties, all good.

      Delete
  3. At least you're all home together! (I'll keep my fingers crossed you won't need to go to the vet during the storm! AND I'll try and keep the white stuff down to a manageable amount.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But there is no manageable amount when it comes to the white stuff. Even a flake is too much

      Delete
  4. Your experience at the animal hospital was interesting. I know Pete had an intestinal parasite for about 8 months even being treated because they weren't the usual parasites that the normal meds helped. I'm not saying that's Calli's situation though, since I wasn't there. I hope you don't get massive snow. If I remember the blizzard of 78 went on for several days, but it does make good media to call it that. But you never know what a storm will do. Stay safe inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The it could be parasites is just a guess. They didn't bother to do a stool sample to be sure. The '78 Blizzard was a 2 day event as the storm stalled over us. I hope this one doesn't do the same thing

      Delete
  5. Glad to read that Calli is home recuperating. And that you have electricity (I assume from the blog post appearing).

    I know it must have been frustrating to not be able to get anti-parasitics for Quill at the vet school, however my understanding is that it is illegal to prescribe medication for a pet that they haven't seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is hoping that this week will be better for you all.

    in 1978, I was in Victorville, CA (Mojave Desert)and the snow sounded unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The '78 Blizzard was very unreal. I was 23 yrs old. Still living at home. the morning after dad opened the front door and we were walled in with snow. The neighbor across the street and his 2 teen sons dug a tunnel from their house to ours to dig out the front door so we could get out! Dad drove a land yacht and Oldsmobile Cutlass. We couldn't even see it in the driveway!

      Delete
  7. i'll have to read the post below about Calli - but wow - what a thing to go through with her and then have these roadbumps getting what she needs. i sincerely WISH you the best through this storm. I know what a big storm can do to power, roads, etc..trees down... I pray it's like you said, hyped up a lot. Your preps make sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do a storm prep. Phones and iPads charged. Buckets of water to flush the toilet even though we now have a solar battery back up that will keep the house going for 24 hrs. or so. I figure if I go through the prep, we won't lose electricity. The times I don't bother, no lights and no heat

      Delete
    2. oh yeah - i've learned to prep also...last two years no three years have been crazy as Edison replaces all the really old poles and lines all around the mountains. they said it would take about three years or so ...we had so many outages as they worked around our area up and down roads and such. So far we've kept our power through the last month with heavy winds ..which i'm grateful for.

      Delete
  8. Oh goodness!
    I've just been catching up with your previous posts, you've not had a good week.
    I do hope you will not need to go to the vert again.
    My thoughts are with you, stay warm and safe in the storm.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calli is almost back to her little self, tolerating the meds and making up with eating. The storm is still going, but we still have electricity. All is good

      Delete
  9. Poor baby!!! I hope nothing more happens and you can ride out the storm in peace. That includes losing power, none of that either!! I hate when they have to shave so close and then it takes forever to grow back. One of our Siamese girls was shaved close to her neck for bloodwork and the fur took over four months to come back in. When it did it was a different colour! instead of a creamy white, it is dark like her points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it through the storm no problems with Calli or electricity. Interesting about the hair color. I wonder if that will happen with Calli. In certain lights, she has grey tabby stripes on her tail.

      Delete
  10. Sp glad to read that Calli made it home before the storm hit. Sounds like she had a horrible time at the vet's. I feel for you and the stress you must be under still. I hope you don't really get the up to 24 inches they are predicting for Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say how much snow we got as there was so much blowing and drifting.

      Delete