Saturday, January 8, 2022

Saturday Morning at the Library


When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, The Language Book by Franklin Folsom. From the cover, "The whole dramatic story of language What it is...how it began...how it changes From Tom Toms to Telstar. This book was given to me as a Christmas gift when I was 12 and it became one of my favorite books to read.

If you haven't read this book, you may be able to find it at your library or favorite bookstore. I did find it available on Amazon.

12 comments:

  1. Sure....make me go to Amazon and buy MORE books! (It's in my cart as I type....lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting book. I have a kids book, The Story of the Earth, that I feel the same way about. I still have it. Maybe these books were factors in our studying what we did in college. Hope you didn't get a lot of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered if this book along with reading the dictionary and encyclopedia had a hand in my major. We got about 9 maybe 10 in. Apparently, my area was in a snow band that blew up

      Delete
  3. Sunds like a good book, I haven't heard of it before. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a children's book and very old. Just like me

      Delete
  4. I"m unfamiliar with this one. I did spend my share of time engrossed in encyclopedias and "story of" books as a child. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not come across this book, it does sound good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of this, but it certainly sounds interesting. I think it would be fun to read it, too. Perhaps understanding how language evolved would be something to value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was always fun to flip through. Something new each time.

      Delete