Saturday, July 9, 2022

Fun Facts About the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

 

The official state Coat of Arms features a Native American in gold on a platagenet shield of blue. The model for the Native American was the Algonquin tribe. In his right hand is a bow. His left hand holds an arrow pointing down representing peacefulness. Above the bow is a 5 point silver star representing Massachusetts as one of the original 13 states.

Above the shield is the crest, a right arm with a sword. This represents the state motto written in the ribbon banner: “Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem” . In English, “By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.”

The Coat of Arms appears on the State Flag and State Seal.

10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I knew this emblem but didn't know anything about it. Now I need to check out the NH one. Thanks for sharing.

jinxxxygirl said...

I really enjoy your facts about Massachusetts ! I was just looking at the Army seal... Hubby wants one on his hat.. Have a good weekend CJ! Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

We don't seem to have a true coat of arms; we do use a state seal. The top half of the seal highlights agriculture and the bottom half commerce. It does not appear on our state flag.

CJ Kennedy said...

The only flag I know for NH is the colonial Don't Tread on Me flag

CJ Kennedy said...

All the joy of travel without the expense or travel headaches. 😺

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting

robin cox walsh said...

It's so much more interesting when someone explains it! (I'm not being snarky, I really mean it! My father was a history major and was full of these kinds of facts.) 😁

CJ Kennedy said...

I love these useless bits of Jeopardy trivia

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, this is a wonderful one! Very strong and such a "normal", yet difficult wish!

CJ Kennedy said...

Indeed