Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Whatcha Doin?

 
Wassily Kandinsky, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

On Tuesday, I received an emergency call from the Worcester Art Museum asking if I could teach a class of 5 - 7 year olds to make kites Wednesday morning. Today!

 After a moment of panic ("I know nothing about teaching art to babies") The Studio/Class Program Coordinator told me the lesson is already planned; making kites is sort of like making books, and I can take the kidlets into the gallery to see Wassily Kandinsky's Untitled No. 629 painted in 1936. That's a relief! 

I have my outfit picked out, too. I always like to tie my wardrobe to a lesson. So a shirt with another painting of Kandinsky's Green Composition:


and just in case it's needed a face mask with the Kandinsky Untitled No. 629


After the Kite Making class, I'll look for something to show the students who are taking the Bookmaking class I'm teaching on Friday. All the children's classes include a trip to the gallery to look at art before going into the studio to create art.

The class is too large (13 students) otherwise, I would have asked for permission to visit the Prints Department. I have taken adult students to the Prints Department to look at the museum's collections of Medieval manuscripts. 

Instead, I'm looking for the painting, Still Life with Books by John Frederick Peto (American, 1854–1907) If the painting isn't on view, I'll wander over to the Japanese gallery to check out the scrolls.

Outfit for the bookmaking class with a kitty mask, if needed:


Whatcha doin?

25 comments:

  1. I'd panic but would also be excited. 5-7 years old are still excited about learning, but then you have to be age appropriate. I hope you have fun and Friday's book making class is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun!! I wanna come! We have the wind for you down here in TX! Blowin' up a storm out there.. well i WISH it would blow up a storm.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about this project. 5-7 year olds are all still artists, not having decided they're not good enough to draw of paint or create. And I love Kandinsky, leaving me to wonder why I still haven't gotten my print framed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that particular Kandinsky is my favorite picture in the museum collection.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like fun! Kids can be a handful but sometimes they're the most interesting! And Creative! Have fun! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you could help them out, that was really short notice! Loving how you coordinate your outfits for the classes too, such fun 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coordinating outfits is something that I like to do. Usually no one notices, but my colleagues in the education department noticed this time and were delighted

      Delete
  6. this sounds like it will be fun; hope the day turned out to be so !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a woman of many talents. I'm always amazed at the way you have time to do all that you do. Wow, kite making. It seems to me anyway, that you teach a lot of different classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That compliment swelled my head I'll have to wear 2 cowboy hats. 🤠🤠I primarily teach calligraphy to adults and subjects that are akin to calligraphy: illumination, gilding, making small books, hand-lettering. I have taught calligraphy and bookmaking to 11-13 year olds. This is the first time I was asked to teach classes to the littles. More about that in future posts

      Delete
    2. thanks for the explanation...it helps me to understand your life which I always love to do with people i meet whether in person or online. And you proved my point, lollololol...because you left out what you cook, how you garden, etc. I'm a slug.

      Delete
  8. Woo Hoo. Good on you. How did you like working with that age group? Love your Ink and books pic. And speaking of which, uou should hop over to Elizabeth Seckman's blog. It features a baby Ink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had fun. I'll be posting about it next week

      Delete
  9. Love the idea with fitting clothes, bet the kids love it! Kids note so much. When my Niece was little she always commented on my clothes, too and I wondered how her little brain already works so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids got excited when they noticed my mask was the same as the painting. My colleagues loved my outfit, too.

      Delete
  10. Ink and Psylocke do look alike, even the eye color.

    How lucky are the children that you put so much thought into their time with you. That's so wonderful. Kids need all the attention we can give them right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to make sure they have a positive experience in the art classes.

      Delete
  11. I started scrolling below your header when I said to myself, that is a Kandinsky. I hope it was a joyful experience for you AND the kiddos. You sure know how to dress the part. What, no Kandinsky socks?

    ReplyDelete