Saturday, April 9, 2022

Saturday Mornings at the Library

 

When I was 5 years old, I was forced to take dancing lessons while the Brother was forced to take accordion lessons. I hated dancing class. The Knights of Columbus Hall where the classes were given had no heat or it wasn't turned on. I hated wearing the pink beginner tights. I liked clacking around in the tap shoes, but Ma wouldn't let me practice inside the house on the wood floors. I spent most of my time in class being miserable and crying. Eventually, I was taken out of class.

While the Brother still had to endure accordion lessons, Dad took me to the library. He would leave me upstairs in the children's library where I could look at the books and choose to take some books home with my own library card. As I got older, I would go downstairs to the adult library and wander among the stacks enjoying the scent of the books before going to find Dad in the reference area consulting the law books and catching up on his work.

So for the next several weeks, a list of my favorite books, some I have read as a child, others as an adult and some  I have read more than once.

This week, White Fang by Jack London. The story follows the journey of White Fang, a wild wolfdog from his life in the wild to becoming domesticated. This is a companion novel to London's better known novel The Call of the Wild. If you haven't read White Fang, you can find it at your public library or read it free at Project Gutenberg.

This is the last book of the series. Next week, some fun facts about Massachusetts

18 comments:

  1. I haven<#t read this one, but the Jack London books are all good. Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a sort of sequel to "Call of the Wild"

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any Jack London, but I have this book in my Audible account as it was a freebie, so I will probably listen to it sometime. And I am excited to learn your facts about Massachusetts, being a native. You'e peaked my interest for certain. Stay dry when the rain arrives. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got caught in a downpour coming out of a store 😸

      Delete
  3. Huge fan of Jack London when i was growing up ! Thanks for reminding me! and thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such lovely comments! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watched the Disney movie with the kids, never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read that. might look into it. Happy Saturday to you - hope its warm and spring like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of it, sounds like an interesting plot.
    In the East of Germany wolves scare off people, here we don´t have any. So far. I think I would freak, though. Especially when wearing Gurri, they might mistake me for the little red riding hood ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing Gurri, you would be like Rotkäppchen, and then Ingo would have to be der Jäger to save you.

      Delete
  7. Wow, this brings back memories as I remember reading this when I was young too 😀. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not read this, but I DO know who Jack London is and have read some of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this one! I went through a dog story phase in junior high school -Lad, a Dog and such, and this is one I remember from back then.

    ReplyDelete