Thursday, October 6, 2022

Inktober 2022

 It's Inktober again, a challenge to draw something using ink once a day for the 31 days during the month of October. 

Since I'm in the middle of part 2 of Modern Storybook Script, I thought I would flourish two birds with one pen by practicing the script using the challenge words for this year's Inktober.



Earlier this Summer, I had time so I made a Coptic stitch journal to use. The book measures 6 1/4" x 8". 

Tiggy had sent me a black silhouette cat, and I was going to use that to decorate the cover. I put it on top of the cover and left it while I figured out what I wanted to do. When I went back to the project, I found the black paper had left a ghost image of the cat. I'm not sure you'll be able to see it clearly especially as I didn't do a very good job getting the air bubbles out of the cover paper while gluing. Anyway,  I liked the ghost image for the cover


I fill in diplomas for a private high school and I'm allowed to keep the ones that have a mistake (somebody's name is beautifully spelled incorrectly) and extra stock as the diplomas are printed with a date and wouldn't be able to be used for the following year. 

The paper is a very nice cream-colored, smooth 90 lb, watercolor paper, and it seems a shame to throw it away when the back is perfectly good to write, draw, or paint on. The diplomas are large so I cut the paper down and then French folded the paper. Any printing or writing would be on the inside.  With the French fold, there will be no bleed through with ink, paints, markers, etc.


I used the Ink silhouette on the title page


Prompt for October 1: gargoyle
Done with a Fudenosuke Brush Pen, Pigma pen, Tombow Dual Brush Markers

"The gargoyle remained undiscovered for centuries until a small boy lost in the labyrinthine roof stumbled off a ledge and rolled into the lap of the gargoyle. Since it's discovery the creature has been affectionately known as Little Dedo, the gargoyle with the crossed toes. Some parents keep a statue of the gargoyle around the hour for protection."


Prompt for October 2: scurry
Done with Fudenosuke Brush Pen, Pigma Pen, Towbow Dual Brush Markers, a mouse rubber stamp, and a black ink pad

"scur-ry
verb
to move hurriedly with short quick steps"


Prompt for October 3: Bat
Fudenosuke Brush Pen, Pigma Pen, Tombow Dual Brush Marker

"Twinkle, twinkle, Little Bat
how I wonder where you're at
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea tray in the sky
Twinkle, twinkle, Little Bat
how I wonder where you're at" 
Lewis Carroll

(Today, October 6 is National Mad Hatter's Day. Put on your best top hat and go have a tea party.)


Prompt for October 4: Scallop
the Fudenosuke Brush Pen feathered and bled every so slightly. I'm also ham-fisted (heavy handed) and was not getting a fine line. I did a swatch test with various inks: Moon Palace Sumi, Ziller, Winsor Newton, Dr. Ph. Martin Black Star, but they all feathered and bled slightly and the Winsor was actually grey and not black.

Kathy Milici, the instructor for Modern Storybook Script, had said that if inks turned out to be a problem, you could always write with gouache. Gouache is an opaque watercolor and sits on top of the paper and doesn't sink into the paper fibers like ink. 

Winsor Newton Ivory Black Gouache, Nikko G nib, Pigma pen, Tombow Dual Brush Markers, Graphite

"and squirrels running scallops along the tops of the gray stone walls" - Jean Hersey


Prompt for October 5: Flame
Winsor Newton Ivory Black Gouache, Nikko G. nib, Pigma pen, Towbow Dual Brush markers

"Think with deep gratitude those who have lighted the flames within us. - Albert Schweizer

Are you participating in Inktober?


12 comments:

  1. Oh! And I always thought gargoyles are bad! And wondered (too lazy to reseach) why the Hubby of a friend chose this name as alias - he´s a totally protective man, all solved now!
    Love all your cute work! I don´t think I can write that well... Hence, no I really have no talent to participate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to be an "artist" to participate. Just draw and have fun

      Delete
  2. No i'm not... I want to.. i should.. i keep waiting for life to be well... perfect before i participate.. yeah.. we know how that goes.. I love how your combining both of your activities.. I look forward to seeing your Inktober.. Going to cut and haul wood today... Oh... and see if i can find my lost phone... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always forgetting where I put my phone in the house and I constantly use the Find My Phone feature on the iPad. 😸

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with the book, and I'm glad you liked the ghost image. You're writing is always gorgeous, and these illustrations are fun. That squirrel illustration in particular strikes me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see how you illustrated each prompt. Those mice are cute . The other pages are great too, and it looks like you're having fun! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rubberstamp I found in the bargain bin at Michael's

      Delete
  5. I loved seeing your drawings. :) I'm doing Inktober this year, and I am really enjoying it so far. :D My favorite drawing of yours has to be Flame, it's so pretty.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic so far. Great artwork. I could see the ghost image, although just barely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The ghost image was hard to photograph

      Delete